The Londonderry Historical Society was formed in 1956 and incorporated in 1968 as a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of the town’s past. The founders of the Society created the organization after the loss of one of the town’s most pertinent pieces of history – the sale and relocation of the “Ocean Born Mary House.” One of its founding members was Melvin Watts, to whom the Society and citizens of Londonderry owe a debt of gratitude for his foresight and help in preserving so many of the artifacts the Society still owns and enjoys displaying today. Other past presidents and/or members of the Society who some may remember had been long time residents of this Town, but who are no longer with us, including Jessie Beckley, Loretta McKinney and Melvin’s beloved Ruth Watts.
Londonderry Historical Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to preserving the best of Londonderry’s past. All contributions are tax deductible.
Monthly meetings are usually held on the third Tuesday of the month at 6:00pm. From April to October, meetings are held in the Parmenter Barn at 140 Pillsbury Road. From November to March, meetings are held in the basement of the Leach Library at 276 Mammoth Road.
We are an all-volunteer organization that thrives on the diverse talents of our members. We are always delighted to make new friends and welcome those who wish to volunteer with us.
The Society actively works with all three elementary schools to enhance the fourth grade curriculum requirement for studying New Hampshire history. Fourth graders from South School, North School and Matthew Thornton are treated to a tour of the Morrison House Museum each year, conducted by members Penny Webster and Bill Bringhurst.
Here is Bill giving a tour of the Clark Blacksmith Shop, History Lesson, Londonderry Times, June 22, 2017 and here Fourth-Graders Get History Lesson at Historical Society, Londonderry Times, June 22, 2017